10.08.2017

Mallorca 2017

Hola and greetings from Spain guys!

I am officially two weeks here. It is crazy how time flies and how much I get to experience here. But before I start talking about my time in Barcelona, I would like to blog about our crazy trip to Mallorca!
I would like to tell you guys how exciting it always it to do things with my boyfriend. I tell you this now, because as soon as I plan something with my boyfriend, something crazy happens. Sometimes good crazy, sometimes bad. Which makes every little plan we have more stressful but also more exciting!
We decided the night before the 27th of July to take a cab in the morning instead of taking the long ride with the bus to the airport. Our gate would close already at 7.30 am, which means that we had to start going at 5.30 am as the bus ride and the walking to the right station would take around an hour. The cabs in Barcelona are pretty cheap and can take you in 15 minutes to the airport, which sounded for us more appealing. So well, we woke up the next day, got ready and waited in front of our apartment at 6.30 am. Usually, you find cabs everywhere around the streets as we live in the center of Barcelona but nothing – absolutely no cab was showing up. We decided to walk up the street while my boyfriend called the different cab companies he knew – no one picked up. So we stood there with our luggage and the time went by. We knew it was too late to get to a bus and we were basically standing there helpless on the streets. At some point a man stopped his car and asked us if we were looking for a taxi. Well, that man turned out to be our hero! Apparently there was a huge strike going on in Barcelona which meant that no cab was driving. This dude was a cabify driver, which is the same concept as Uber. We downloaded the app immediately and this man drove 140km/h on a 80km/h street just to get us to the airport as quickly as possible. I love the people here already.
We arrived at the airport at around 7.10 am – tried to stay calm and just thought: not a big deal, we still have around 20 minutes to get through security. Well, well, well, it happened to be the same day the security at the airport was striking so there were only a few police officers who did the security check and a bunch of chaos. There were so many people and we asked several times if there was a possibility for us to get to the fast lane but they declined. Yep, that’s not how I imagined my vacation would start. We made it through the security at around 7.45 am  when I already started giving up and we started to run to the gate. Of course the gate had to be far far away from the security so we had a bunch of morning cardio including the luggage we had to carry with us.
BUT, we made it. I was sweaty, moody (we weren’t even able to eat or drink anything before) and my boyfriend laughed his ass off as he was actually expecting this kind of adventure.


The flight went smoothly and we arrived in Palma de Mallorca at 9 am and damn the sun was burning already! We took the shuttle to our car rental, which went pretty quickly and I could enjoy the aircon and the beautiful view of Palma. Our Airbnb host was already waiting for us, so we arrived quickly at the house which was totally in the countryside! This is exactly what we wanted and we couldn’t be much happier than spending the late evenings in Santa Eugenia. It was so quiet and peaceful there and even when we were gone the whole day, it was always nice to join our host and her friends and family in the evening on the terrace.
















We spent the day driving around the island to find some hotspots and to find some food, as it was already 2 pm and we still haven’t eaten anything. Our first stop was the Castell de Bellver. The castle wasn't really that interesting even though I am usually a big fan of such places but the view on Palma was stunning! We hiked up there which wasn't really hard but the temperatures at that point of the day were making it pretty tough. Afterwards we decided to take cool down and relax at the beach.

We ended up driving through Magaluf on our way to Palmanova to spent the rest of the day at the beach. Can I just say that I don’t understand how people  can get batshit drunk on hot days like these (36 DEGREES!!)? Maybe I am too old for this already, but when I saw the drunk people everywhere, I was pretty happy that we didn’t spent our nights at a hotel nearby.
So we basically spent our day at the beach and ate amazing food at Ca’n Torrat, where we indulged tapas, steaks and wine while watching the sunset. The night couldn’t have ended better.

The next day we decided to leave a little bit earlier to see more of the Island. Our Airbnb host was so kind and wrote us a three pages long letter to explain the best places to visit in Mallorca. We bought some fruits and snacks so we don’t have to stop and eat lunch somewhere, as it was even impossible to be hungry in this heat. 







We ended up in the mall, because I am still a shopping loving bish, and started our journey towards Serra de Tramuntana, Port de Soller and Sa Calobra. With my amazing navigation skills, it was just a matter of time that we got lost somewhere in the mountains. And we did that a few times more before we actually arrived somewhere *facepalm*. My new job was to hold the phone while my boyfriend drove and navigated himself. And we actually got to arrive somewhere. The beauty of Tramuntana is breath taking. I ended up taking some video footage which I will put together as soon as I have some free time.



Port de Soller was very cute, but as crowded as the other parts and beaches of Mallorca. Nether less, I can’t get enough of Nature’s beauty!
Our route took us to Sa Calobra. And damn, this ride up the mountains is 1000x times worse than the ride on the Highway 1 in California. I feared my life and I started to pray to someone or something because I thought we won’t survive this road. The roads were way too narrow and with so many curves that I almost got car sick. Not to mention when it was time to get down the mountain and you had to press the breaks non-stop to be able to stay in your lane and not get killed by the cliffs. (I am so dramatic) We ended up surviving this route of hell and beauty and arrived at Sa Calobra. Everyone who is planning to go to Mallorca and has a car rented, should definitely check that place out. It is wonderful!

























After our crazy adventure that day we decided to eat well in the evening and ate at the famous restaurant Sa Farinera, which was recommended by a good friend. The food was amazing and I could totally understand why the whole place was packed with people. In the night we mapped out a plan of the things we would really like to see on Marisa’s list. (Our Airbnb host) We knew we weren’t able to see everything, but we tried to enjoy the spots that really interested us.

So the next day, we decided to go on another adventure, starting off with Banyalbufar. This place is not only surrounded by beautiful mountains and a deep blue sea, it also was a quite village, which had famous waterfalls around the beach. This was the one place I was really looking forward to see and the closest one of us as well. As soon as we arrived it was clear that there was no option for us to park anywhere. Apparently the little town had a village festival going on the exact same day that we wanted to explore the place. There was no parking available and we barely made it up the mountain as it was sooo steep. We decided it wasn’t worth the wait for us to find a parking spot and we went on to the next place on our list.
The next place was called Llulcalcari and what we found out was that it is actually only known by the locals of Mallorca. There was no parking available, only three spots for locals of Mallorca, which we decided to take as we were advised by the people there that this wouldn’t be an issue and that this place is so hidden that no one will come and check. Llulcalcari is known for its beautiful peaceful beach and the “fountain of mud”. You basically get your own natural mud treatment right at the beach. We had some troubles finding the actual beach because there were so many trails and nothing really showed any signs for us to reach the beach. At some point it was clear that we had to climb down the mountains. 
Just a quick tip if you are deciding to visit this place: DEFINTELY use lots of sunscreen, bring a good amount of water, a beach towel, hiking shoes or sneakers and water shoes!! My sunscreen was empty, I had flipflops on and our water was nearly empty until we actually arrived at the beach. I have a huge fear of heights and I almost cried when I had to climb the mountain down with flipflops. I was shaking so hard that it took me minutes to jump from one place to another.  Netherless, the beach was something I will never forget. There were probably only 5-10 people, turquoise water and lots of coral riffs to discover. Our host also gave each of us a pair of googles to explore its beauty. So much happiness at this place! Of course we rubbed ourselves with the mud to get the full treatment. The stones were dangerously slippery which is why I have some cuts on my foot and bruises on my legs, but damn I would do it again. (this time with all the equipment of  course)















After we finished our adventure in Llulcalcari, we headed over to Son Serra de Marina, another part of the island which is usually visited by locals and Spanish people. This beach was so peaceful in comparison to the touristic beaches of Palmanova and Barcelona, that we ended up taking a nap right there.








After some swimming and sun bathing we decided to eat at the Porto Petro, which was another hour away from Son Serra de Marina. Our host recommended us to eat at a specific restaurant but it was so busy that we ended up at a different restaurant close by, which had a beautiful view on the pier. Well. That was the beautiful part of the whole dinner, other than me receiving a 15 Euro meal that contained of 5 tortellini, while I was basically starving we decided to order a dessert. That dessert was defrosted cake, that I couldn’t even eat because it was really that bad. And I tell you guys it is really bad cake when I don’t end up eating the thing anyway haha. So I got drunk on good wine, stayed hungry  and enjoyed the romantic view. My boyfriend laughed his ass off that I was the hungry one of us and he actually received the best food of both of us (I disagree, he ate some nasty fish). But anyway, good laughter, perfect adventures and a romantic night at the pier and I wasn’t ready to face reality yet.

We spent the rest of the night with our Airbnb host and her friends and family on the terrace, laughed and drank some wine. The next day was already time to leave and everything went as smoothly as it could be. This is basically now summarizing our vacation and we spent the rest of the day at the beach of Barcelona. Not as pretty as Mallorca, but I will never say no to the beach 😊.

Kudos to everyone who read this until the end!!
Yours truly,

Karoline

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS