09.01.2018

Study Abroad - Q&A





Hey guys,

I am in the middle of my preparations for Bali and Bangkok and received a bunch of questions regarding my studies abroad. This is why I thought it would make sense to cover a few points here to make sure most of you understand what my study in Bali and Bangkok really entails.



1. How did you end up getting to study in Bali and Bangkok?

My University has campuses and exchange opportunities all over the world. As an international student you can decide between doing your Exchange year or visiting the campus sites in either South Africa, Qatar, Bali or Bangkok. This is called the GrandTour program. From the beginning of my study I was sure that I wanted to join the GrandTour program and go to Asia. My plan B was ‘Merica (what else?) or Australia.

2. What will you study in Asia?

I am enrolled for the Event Management minor program. The theory part will be done in Bali, while the practical part will be done in Bangkok. As I have already done my internship in Event Management and worked in the field for over a year now at my current side job, I am really excited to learn more about it.




3. Is it your first time in Asia?

Yes it is! Which is why it is scary but exciting at the same time.

4. Isn’t it expensive?

Yup, most definitely. I have actually had to save a tons of money in Spain.
Here is a cost overview from now:

2519,00€                  GrandTour program costs (incl. accomodation)
  250,00€                  Vaccinations & doctor visits 
    45,00€                  Visa costs
    11,00€                  Porto send/receive Visa
  400,00€                  Flight AMS to BALI
    36,00€                  Travel insurance
    32,00€                  Hotel for 19 hour overlay in Bangkok
  100,00€                  Flight BALI to BANGKOK
    40,00€                  Scholl Uniform required

3100,00€

Bear in mind I still need to include the costs from later on: Return flights, Thailand Visa Costs, more school uniforms etc.

BUT: If you divide the costs on the 6 months of staying there it’s still less than what I paid as rent in my shitty apartment in Barcelona.






5. How long are you staying?

I will stay in Bali from the 1rst of February until the 21rst of April and stay in Bangkok from the 21rst of April until the 1rst of July. The rest of the summer can be used to travel around. (Which is why I didn’t book my flight back yet)

6. How are you going to do it with your boyfriend and your pups?

Good question guys. Nah, joking. My boyfriend and I knew from the first day of dating that I will go to Asia. Since we have already been long distance for more than a year now, we are quite sure that we will make it just fine. Also, he is planning to visit me.
The pups will have to stay at home, but I already know that I will ball my eyes out once I have to say goodbye to them! They are going to be huuuge the next time I will see them.




7. What are your travel plans in Asia?

Honestly, I don’t have a clue. I haven’t been researching as much as I would love to. I will actually start to plan ahead in the next weeks and make a checklists of things I would like to see, which I will post here on the blog. (More than happy to receive recommendations and places!)

8. Aren’t you scared?

Do you know me? Haha, no of course I am. The good kind of scared. You never know what to expect in a new country and a new culture and I am super excited to find out.
Since I have already made the big move to the US, smaller moves to the Netherlands and Spain, I think I will be adjusting in Asia just fine. (Though I am aware that it will be a cultural challenge!)



9. What are you most excited about?


The tropical atmosphere of Bali, health, wellness and just everything healing my body and putting my mental health first. I cannot wait to do some Island hopping around Indonesia.
I am also excited to explore the busy streets of Bangkok, learning more about the Asian business culture and explore so many facets of the country.

10. What are you not so excited about?


The humidity and bugs I have never seen or heard about haha. Also, stealing! Not to mention the horror stories I heard of when it comes to meat. I think I will be going veggie/vegan in the time I am there. 


I hope I could answer all your questions, if not, feel free to comment here or dm me!
I would really love to read about your tips and recommendations for Asia! So feel free to message me or send me a link to your blog post.
Love,
Karoline


28 Kommentare:

  1. This sounds like such a cool program! Sounds like you're going to have tons of adventures and a great time!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. So exciting! I have lived abroad before and it is so much fun to get to know a new language, culture and country! Enjoy :)
    xx, Theresa

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. This sounds like such a great trip! A few of my friends studied abroad in Australia and went to Bali for a week. Their pictures were so beautiful, and I remember they did a lot of hiking and water activities!

    Hannah | the swirl

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Awww, I would love to explore Australia as well!! ♥

      Löschen
  4. Oh my gosh- Bali and Bankok? What AMAZING places to study in! I did a 4 week study abroad in France in college. It wasn't an ideal situation (I didn't have a good host family) but I'm still glad I did it as it pushed me out of my comfort zone!

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Being pushed out of the comfort zone is so important! I had several moments in the US that pushed me which I am so thankful for :) I think it will be the same in Asia! ♥

      Löschen
  5. I always wanted to study abroad but I never got the chance and it's one of my biggest regrets.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Aw, there is always time to experience it and travel! ♥

      Löschen
  6. Ive always wanted to go to bali!!! its on my list for this year.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. How cool! I always wanted to study abroad. Wish I found out about my school's program before I had taken all the classes offered abroad!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Aw, what a bummer! :( Yes, I am always trying to take any opportunity I can to study somewhere or travel abroad :)

      Löschen
  8. I LOVED getting to read all of this! This sounds like such an amazing trip - good luck!

    Kristin
    The Blush Blonde

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. How exciting! I studied abroad in college to (I went to Madrid, Spain from Washington, DC). It was such a great time and I know you'll have a fantastic experience too!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Awesome! I lived in Barcelona, Spain now for 6 months for my internship abroad :).
      Thank you, I hope I will ♥

      Löschen
  10. That sounds so exciting! But why your first time in Asia, didn't you also go to Israel last year?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Geographically speaking it's Asia, but cultural it is middle east. WHich is why I cannot compare it to an Asia country as for example Thailand or Indonesia which are considered South east Asia (which I have never been too, or in general never lived in) :) If that explains what I meant by Asia :D

      Löschen
  11. I always have so many questions when people study abroad. I want to know how they did it, how they saved for it, what it costs. I really appreciate this post because these were the questions I was looking for answers for!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I will definitely make another post on "How to save for travels" :)
      Xo Karoline

      Löschen
  12. You're so lucky, that's such a great opportunity to study and see the world! I recently finished my semester in Madrid and I would love to study abroad agian, I'll have to look into programs in Asia because I've always wanted to go!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. How did you like Madrid? :) I just recently moved away from my semester abroad in Barcelona! :)

      Löschen
  13. Sounds like such an amazing opportunity! Enjoy!
    -Nicholle
    www.nichollesophia.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. This sounds like an awesome opportunity girl! I can't wait to read all about it.

    -xo, Azanique | www.lotsofsass.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. I hope you have a great time studying abroad! I went abroad to Austria for three months when I was still in college and it was honestly a life changing experience. I had an internship as well and it was such a foundational experience for me! You're going to have a great time!

    Logan | signedlogan.com

    AntwortenLöschen

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS